Makrades officially belongs to the 8th century AD. In 1200 AD, Ruled by the Byzantine,Angelos Komninos who built a fortress close
by to provide a safe heaven for the locals. The fortress was invaded many times, but never conquered, sadly, many locals lost their lives
in these attacks.
The village is mostly dilapidated, with fine example of architecture which reflect in the stone houses which dominate the village, there
is still evidence of the holes made for the guns which were used in, their defence.
The population of Makrades is mostly of the older generation. Most of the houses stand empty and near collapse. The old part of the village has a post office, church and supermarket, where the locals sit around chatting about the events of the day. There are also tavernas serving local dishes, and tourist shops selling their handmade crafts and olive oil.
If you travel along the road in the direction of Paleokastritsa, there are the most magnificent views looking down onto the crystal clear waters of Paleokastritsa.
Back to articles